I don’t think you could have been in the pet blogosphere this year and missed Debbie. From her and Katie’s blog GLOGIRLY- Tails Of A Cat & Her Girl to the BlogPaws 2012 T-shirt with the winning logo she designed to Real Housecats Of The Blogosphere. This blogger has been everywhere. And now Katie is in the running for Cat Ruler of the World! (I was under the impression that cats ruled the world in a joint effort, maybe because that’s how my cats rule my world!) Not only does the winner get the illustrious title of Cat Ruler of the World, but the rescue of their choice wins too. Voting starts on 9/11 and ends on 9/14 so be sure to make sure your vote counts!
Meet Debbie (and Katie) from GLOGIRLY- Tails Of A Cat & Her Girl
Please share a little bit about yourself and your pets(present and past if you like).
It’s just the three of us in our Minneapolis townhouse: Katie, the cat in charge of it all. Glogirly, that’s me. And Gloman, my husband and Katie’s resident boy-toy.
How did your love of animals start?
I grew up with cats AND dogs. (Shhhhhh…don’t tell Katie about the dogs, she has no idea.) Animals were always part of our family. My true love of cats really began when I moved out on my own and needed to hear the pitter patter of paws in my lonely studio apartment.
What made you decide to start a pet blog?
I found myself in the midst of a career transition when the company I worked for dissolved my position of 20 years. Inspired by a foodie friend that blogged about restaurants, cooking and her cat, I decided it might BE smart to GET smart on blogging. Faced with writer’s block, it was my husband that suggested I have my cat, Katie, introduce me. Well it stuck. I fell in love and haven’t written in my own voice since. If you’d have told me I’d be a “Cat Blogger” back then, I’d have laughed and rolled my eyes. Who knew… to date Katie and I have won a number of national blogging awards and we’re even finalists in the 2012 Petties.
How long have you been blogging?
Since June of 2009.
How would you describe your blog to a first time visitor?
Voiced by Katie, the sharp-tongued kitty with style and wit, the GLOGIRLY blog promises laughs and meows with every visit. Clever accounts of life from a sarcastic cat’s point of view, whimsical imagery and dance-along videos make GLOGIRLY, well…GLOGIRLY.
If a reader could only read 1 post on your blog which post would you recommend?
FRAMED: It’s the funniest post I’ve ever written and features the funniest photo I’ve ever created in Photoshop. The photo went viral and has been shared and viewed by over 1/4 million people. (and cats)
What has been the best part and what has been the hardest part about blogging?
There are SO many bests:
1. I’ve met amazing people all over the world…friendships I would have never discovered had it not been for blogging.
2. Writing as my cat has strengthened my connection to her. Call me crazy, but it’s actually personified her to me. I talk about the blog as if it’s hers, the Facebook Page as if it’s hers…even “our” new graphic design business which “we’re” marketing to pet bloggers is hers. See? I said, “call me crazy.”
3. I’ve developed some Mad-Photoshop skills! …in fact, Katie and I recently launched GLOGIRLY DESIGN. Our specialties include blog headers & logos, celebration graphics, Facebook covers and avatars.
The hardest parts:
1. Finding enough time to create content I love while trying to visit other blogging friends to offer support and comments.
2. Understanding SEO. I can make anything LOOK great, but getting it to function and be seen by more than a handful of people is a challenge.
3. Giving enough attention to other social network outlets like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
What have you learned from blogging?
When I wrote my first blog post, I had no idea there were others. Other cats that is! I’ve learned how small and connected the world really is. From my tiny laptop in Minneapolis, I can reach my hands (and Katie’s paws) all the way around the world.
What is 1 piece of advice you would give to a new pet blogger?
Decide what the voice and focus of your blog is, make sure it’s rooted in what you love, and stay true to it.
Where can readers find you online?
Visit us at GLOGIRLY-Tails Of A Cat & Her Girl
Hire us at GLOGIRLY DESIGN
Find us on Facebook
Tweet us @glogirly
Watch us on YouTube
Thank you Debbie and Katie for taking time out of their busy campaign schedule to do the interview! Be sure to vote for Katie and Blind Cat Rescue and Sanctuary beginning on September 11th.
Would you like to be featured in Meet the Pet Blogger? Just click the pawprint below to email me.
This post is part of the Saturday Pet Bloggers Hop. Be sure to check out some of the great pet blogs that are joining in.