We couldn’t make holiday treats in my house for just the dogs. The cats
demanded requested I make them something too. I don’t like making treats with a lot of carbohydrates in them especially having to cats that are diabetic (carbs = high blood glucose). I decided to make a simple recipe using canned cat food.
-A large can of loaf (also called pate) type cat food
-Extras- freeze dried fish or chicken
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Open can and remove the food so it stays in one piece. This may require some shaking (be sure to do over the counter unless you have cats or dogs like me that are more than willing to clean up your mess) or running a butter knife around the edge to loosen.
- Tell meowing cats doing figure 8s around your legs that this isn’t dinner yet.
- To make it easier to slice, place the food on it’s side on a plate and put in freezer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and slice in 1/4 inch slices.
- Lay each slice on a foil lined cookie sheet (I’ve found foil makes it easier to remove the slices when they have to be turned over).
- Remove cat from counter when he jumps up to get food.
- To add some more flavoring, crush up the freeze-dried treats and press into the slices.
- Use a knife to score slices into the size treats you want.
- Place in oven for about 2 hours.*
- Tell cats hanging around the oven that it’s going to be awhile before they get to sample.
- Flip slices over and return to oven for another 2 hours.*
- Remove from oven and break into pieces.
- Serve to cats who were hanging around the kitchen waiting for their treats to get done.